Phlebotomist is responsible for collecting blood specimens and pre-analytical processing of all incoming specimens and responsible for filing and charting patient results, including send out testing (post-analytical).
- Competent phlebotomy techniques for all 5 age levels.
- Demonstrates competency
- Demonstrates accuracy
- Adequate response on STATS and TIMED draws
- Demonstrates skills in Meditech system (ordering, admitting, access, and patient inquiry, charge/credit, printing and reporting).
- Specimens are dispatched to Main Lab are timely and correctly labeled.
- Proper phone usage
- Keep filing, log, tally sheets, and other forms current.
- Faxing and phoning of test results to Dr. (or as requested).
- Distribution of final reports
- Actively increasing computer skills.
- Performance of daily, weekly, and monthly phlebotomy tasks.
- Maintain a balance inventory of supplies/Cost consciousness.
- Insure drawing area is clean, organized and free of clutter.
- Understands chain of authority and doesn’t circumvent it.
- Supports and enforces NARMC Lab and HR Directives.
- Notifies Lab Director of all complaints and harmful conditions.
- Engages in Lab related activities during slack time.
Level 1: trainee; might have experience or certification as a Medical Assistant or EMT.
Level 2: Not certified or completed an accredited Phlebotomy program; has 1 year or more experience working as a phlebotomist.
Level 3: Completed an accredited Phlebotomy program.